Niccolo Tartaglia

Niccolo Tartaglia

Niccolo Tartaglia

Birth : Niccolò Fontana 1499/1500 Brescia

Death : 13 December 1557 Venice

Personal Information

Name Niccolo Tartaglia
Birth Niccolò Fontana 1499/1500 Brescia
Birth Place /1500 Brescia
Death 13 December 1557 Venice
Died At 3 December 1557 Venice
Nationality Italian
Fields Mathematics,engineering
Famous Research Cardano–Tartaglia formula Early research intoballistics Tartaglia's triangle

Word Cloud

Events Occured in Scienctist Life

1506

In 1506, Michele was murdered by robbers, and Niccolò, his two siblings, and his mother were left impoverished.

1512

Niccolò experienced further tragedy in 1512 when the King Louis XII's troops invaded Brescia during the War of the League of Cambrai against Venice.

1517

Tartaglia moved to Verona around 1517, then to Venice in 1534, a major European commercial hub and one of the great centers of the Italian renaissance at this time.

1503

Tartaglia knew of Archimedes' work on the quadrature of the parabola, for example, from Guarico's Latin edition of 1503, which he had found "in the hands of a sausage-seller in Verona in 1531"

1558

Archimedes' works began to be studied outside the universities in Tartaglia's day as exemplary of the notion that mathematics is the key to understanding physics, Federigo Commandino reflecting this notion when saying in 1558 that "with respect to geometry no one of sound mind could deny that Archimedes was some god".

1543

Tartaglia published a 71-page Latin edition of Archimedes in 1543,

1503

Guarico had published Latin editions of the first two in 1503, but the works on centers of gravity and floating bodies had not been published before.

1500

Tartaglia's masterpiece was the General Trattato di Numeri et Misure (General Treatise on Number and Measure), a 1500-page encyclopedia in six parts written in the Venetian dialect, the first three coming out in 1556 about the time of Tartaglia's death and the last three published posthumously by his literary executor and publisher Curtio Troiano in 1560.